Saturday, June 11, 2011

Red Velvet "Rapunzel"

For my daughter's 8th birthday, she had a Tangled theme. She also requested Red Velvet. Go figure! What 8 year old asks for Red Velvet? :) I took this opportunity to play around with making gum paste flowers. Tip- don't use powered sugar to keep them from getting sticky...they just dry out. My first attempt at a beautiful rose was a terrific failure! Use shortening instead, it keeps them moist. I quickly shifted gears, lowered my expectations, and punched out a bunch of lovely flowers you see here. For a little extra cute factor, I used gel icing to glue to candied pearls to the center.



I ordered some Rapunzel cupcake ring toppers from Amazon (shocking, I know!) and piped them with cream cheese frosting. Add on the little flowers and Wah-lah! Tangled Birthday Cupcakes! Here's a couple pictures of the final product-








No comments:

Post a Comment